Referencing Podcasts in APA 7th ed. using Zotero
Originally posted to Zotero Forums
Has anyone come up with a better way than this? (note: this post was revised twice to include information about handling dates, author roles, and the Container title field gleaned from @bwiernik’s replies)
APA 7th Edition requires information that are not accounted for in Zotero’s podcast fields. Specifically,
- The specific date the podcast aired
- The Name of the podcast series
- The role of the participants
For more detailed information see Podcast References on the APAStyle website. Here is an example citation of a podcast episode:
Webster, M., & Abumrad, J. (Hosts). (2020, September 11). Bringing gamma back, again [Audio podcast episode]. In Radiolab. WNYC Studios. https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/bringing-gamma-back
- As noted in other discussions on the forum you can use add
Issued:followed by the date in year-month-date formate in the extra field of Zotero’s template. For example:
- To get Zotero to add the Series Title to the citation, add
Container title:to the Extra field.
Container title: Liberation Pedagogy Podcast
If the podcast has a publisher you can add a
Publisher: entry with the publisher’s name to the extra field, as well
- To get the authors to display with their roles, you need to put all host, guest, contributor fields in the author field, immediately after the author’s first name.
Author: Desai, Chandni (Host) Author: Naber, Nadine (Guest)
This should output as a properly formatted APA 7th podcast citation. If you add the author’s full names, Zotero will format properly using the first initials.
Desai, C (Host) & Naber, N (Guest). (2021, March 3). Liberate your research (No. 14) [Audio podcast episode]. in Liberation Pedagogy Podcast. https://anchor.fm/liberationpedagogypodcast/episodes/Episode-14—Liberate-Your-Research-erddcr
- No date lookups your podcast will not be searchable or sort-able by date, since there is no date field (see previously mentioned discussions to understand the history behind this, it probably isn’t fruitful to discuss here)
One last noteâ€¦ the required
[Audio Podcast Episode] goes in Zotero’s File Type field, without the Square brackets — Zotero will add the square brackets when formatting the reference.